Verse 8 (NASB)
International Version God's WordTM
8. from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand,
Joseph twelve thousand, from the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand
from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand,
- Zebulun mean "A Home".
- From dad's blessing, it probably should be "a Beach
- From Moses' blessing, Zebulun would "draw out the
the sea." Deuteronomy
from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand,
- Joseph means "an addition".
- Joseph received the forfeited portion of Reuben's
- From dad's blessing, Joseph was "distinguished among
49:22-26. In other words, dad's favorite son.
- From the length of Moses' blessing,
Deuteronomy 33:13-17 , Joseph still
the favored one.
from the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand
There are twelve tribes listed in verses 5 though 8. There is a
problem, though, in that both Dan and Ephraim are not in this list.
Perhaps, it is the idolatry Judges
18:14-20 or violation
of the first commandment (Exodus
which prohibits Dan from being in this list. Other scholars feel these
are symbolic and describe various churches or denominations rather than
Israel. See comments in verse 4
- Benjamin means "son of the right hand" (the hand of
- Benjamin is the youngest son of Jacob.
- Dad's blessing, Genesis
not very complimentary.
- Moses blessing, Deuteronomy
, is much softer and indicates Benjamin has "a place between His
Likewise, Ephraim was "joined to idols",
Hosea 4:15-19 . The city, Bethel,
in Ephraim's territory, had altars,
Kings 12:25-33 . Idols cannot and will not stand the tests
will put this earth through, and thus both Dan and Ephraim are not in
list. The question in verse 17
previous chapter, "WHO IS
TO STAND?" actually then is answered by this list.
from the NEW
AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, © Copyright The
Lockman Foundation, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975,
1977, 1995 Used by permission."
References to the Revelation of Jesus
Christ are in bold italics. All
other references are in bold